Patient Information: Unicameral Bone Cyst (UBC) or Simple Bone Cyst (SBC)
Unicameral Bone Cyst (UBC) or Simple Bone Cyst (SBC) constitutes 3 % of all bone tumours.
- Common in the first two decades, boys are more affected than girls.
- Proposed theories include
- Increased intra-venous pressure leading to collection of interstitial fluid in bone
- Intra-osseous synovial cyst
- Failure of metaphyseal ossification
- Cyst near the growth plate or physis are most active and have a risk of recurrence and can cause growth disturbance.
Cyst that Require treatment
- Progressive increase in size with risk of fracture
- Cyst in Proximal Femur or any weight bearing area causing pain
- Pathological fracture
- Streroid Injection
- Bone Marrow Injection
- Currettage with Bone Grafting (BG)
- Use of Bone Substitutes
- Use of Metallic Implant in cyst cavity, Currettage with Bone Substitutes.
About Bone Cyst
Bone Cyst is a curable condition. Spontaneous resolution after a fracture is known. Success rate with Intra-Lesional Steriod and Bone Marrow is about 80%. Currettage, bone grafting and intra-lesional rodding with titanium implants or screws have over 90 % success rate in curing the lesion.